Sunday, August 15, 2010

THE UNCOVERED MEAT

"But when it comes to this disaster, who started it? In his literature, writer al-Rafee says, if I came across a rape crime, I would discipline the man and order that the woman be jailed for life. Why would you do this, Rafee? He said because if she had not left the meat uncovered, the cat wouldn't have snatched it."

"If you get a kilo of meat, and you don't put it in the fridge or in the pot or in the kitchen but you leave it on a plate in the backyard, and then you have a fight with the neighbour because his cats eat the meat, you're crazy. Isn't this true?"

"If you take uncovered meat and put it on the street, on the pavement, in a garden, in a park, or in the backyard, without a cover and the cats eat it, then whose fault will it be, the cats, or the uncovered meat's? The uncovered meat is the disaster. If the meat was covered the cats wouldn't roam around it. If the meat is inside the fridge, they won't get it."

Polonius stands looking at her for some time and then he hands her some clothes he is carrying.

POLONIUS
What is't, Ophelia, he hath said to you?

Ophelia begins to remove her dress and to put on the dress that her father handed to her. She performs this task as though she has done it a million times. She stands nude for a moment before she puts on the dress knowing that she is not allowed to be shy in front of him. She is ashamed and quiet but she does not show her true feelings to her father. She behaves like an automaton.

OPHELIA
So please you, something touching the Lord Hamlet.

POLONIUS
Marry, well bethought! 'Tis told me he hath very oft of late Given private time to you, and you yourself Have of your audience been most free and bounteous. What is between you? Give me up the truth.

OPHELIA
He hath, my lord, of late made many tenders Of his affection to me.

POLONIUS
Affection? Pooh! You speak like a green girl, Do you believe his tenders, as you call them?

OPHELIA
I do not know, my lord, what I should think

POLONIUS
Marry, I will teach you! Think yourself a baby That you have ta'en these tenders for true pay.

OPHELIA
My lord, he hath importun'd me with love In honourable fashion.

POLONIUS
Ay, fashion you may call it. Go to, go to!

OPHELIA
And hath given countenance to his speech, my lord, With almost all the holy vows of heaven.

POLONIUS
Ay, springes to catch woodcocks! I do know--

Polonius now walks around her enjoying the image he has created by putting her in this outfit. His words become more sensual and precise but he does not touch her.

When the blood burns, how prodigal the soul Lends the tongue vows. From this time Be something scanter of your maiden presence. For Lord Hamlet, believe so much in him, That with a larger tether may he walk Than may be given you. In few, Ophelia, Do not believe his vows. I would not from this time forth Have you so slander any moment leisure As to give words or talk with the Lord Hamlet.

Polonius puts his hand under her chin and lifts her head. They lock eyes for a few moments.

Look to't, I charge you.

OPHELIA
I shall obey, my lord.

Polonius then kisses her gently on the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment